In general, if there was a button you could push that would remove your business from Yelp, it wouldn’t be a good thing. Once your business is removed from the Yelp website and app, you’d see a drop-off in business because potential customers are finding your competitors, since you are nowhere to be found. If you’re a pizza restaurant in San Rafael, CA, and people are Googling “
pizza San Rafael“, or searching in the Yelp app, you’re not going to show up. You may show up on Google if you’ve rocked local SEO for your business.
It’s an awful catch-22. The truth is you can’t live with Yelp, and you can’t live without it. It’s become a mainstay in business discovery and the go-to place for many consumers.
The Bad News
Yelp normally won’t remove your business.
Yelp maintains its stance on removing business listings:
Yelp publishes business listing information so that consumers can share their experiences about local businesses, and because the information is typically a matter of public record and public concern. Therefore we don’t remove such information from the site.
While we understand that some business owners might prefer to keep a low profile, it’s important (and a legal right) for consumers to be able to find and share helpful information about great local businesses.
Good Reasons to Remove Your Business From Yelp
For most businesses, it’s a terrible idea to remove yourself from Yelp.
Here are some decent reasons:
- Your business has been severely damaged on Yelp and you maintain a 1 star rating.
- You’ve been targeted by “activist Yelpers” and have no hope to get out from under their negative assault, and appealing to Yelp for help has yielded no results.
- Your business has been flagged for buying fake reviews.
As you can see, these are all pretty extreme circumstances. Most businesses, with great effort, can get back on top, even with a 1 star rating. But it will take a Yelp-focused effort, and will involve responding to a lot of folks on Yelp, and trying to make them happy. Sometimes happier than they deserve.
Is There Hope To Remove My Business?
If you’re just exhausted and can’t deal with it any more, there are a couple of options to remove your business:
- Appeal to Yelp. Get in touch with their support channel and explain the circumstances. If they are extreme enough (like #2 above) Yelp may remove the business listing.
- Take legal action. There are some articles around the web with advice on this. We can’t vouch for the legitimacy of this approach, but everyone pays attention when a letter from a lawyer hits their desk.
Have you considered removing your business from Yelp? Please post a comment below and tell us about it.
We’ve helped hundreds of businesses just like yours improve their operations, save money, and improve their relationship with customers.