Baking soda is useful far beyond the kitchen. You probably know that you can clean your house with baking soda, but did you know it can also come in handy as part of your beauty regimen? Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, which helps to regulate pH, and that makes it great for beauty recipes.
How does it work? Baking Soda helps items maintain the perfect acidity level and can also buffer substances from further pH changes. These dual capabilities allow it to neutralize odors, such as in your refrigerator, and maintain a pH level, such as in laundry water. Enough with the science, let’s throw open the garage door and show you how you can use baking soda in your personal care.
- Facial Scrub: You can give yourself an inexpensive and invigorating body scrub and facial. Start by creating a paste with three parts baking soda per each part water. Exfoliate your skin by rubbing it in a circular motion. It is gentle enough to use every day. Need another scrub recipe? Maria has a great baking soda and honey face scrub recipe to leave your face glowing.
- Toothpaste: Paste made with a three percent hydrogen peroxide solution and baking soda is a great replacement for commercially-sold non-fluoride paste. Simply dipping your brush with toothpaste already on it in baking soda is another way to get a sodium bicarbonate boost.
- Mouthwash: Take four ounces of water and add a teaspoon of baking soda. You instantly have an odor-neutralizing rinse.
- Conditioner: We all know the benefits of vinegar to your hair, but baking soda has a place as well. Sprinkle a little baking soda into your hand along with your favorite organic shampoo and wash and rinse as you normally would. Baking soda helps to remove any residue that would normally be left behind by your styling products. Heck, you can even straight up wash your hair with baking soda as the “shampoo” and apple cider vinegar as the “conditioner!”
- Deodorant: Avoid harsh deodorants. You can neutralize body odors by dusting baking soda directly on your underarms.
- Hand Cleanser: Avoid harsh soaps by using a paste made of one part water to three parts baking soda. You could also substitute the water for gentle hand soap.
- Clean Combs and Brushes: Want luxurious and shiny hair? Keep your combs and brushes clean. You can remove the residue from hair products and natural oils that have built up by using a solution of warm water and a teaspoon of baking soda.
Do you use baking soda in your beauty regimen? Tell us your favorite uses in the comments!